M.Sc. in Film Production
The Mission of the Programme:
The master’s programme in film production is designed to develop creative and competent professionals who will, at the same time, be responsible, and ethically-minded persons. The programme will endeavour to impart to the students the required intellectual, ethical and professional values that will facilitate best practice and inculcate in them a sense of responsibility for the greater good.
The programme will consist of intensive practical and theoretical courses, which will encompass key areas of film production such as scripting, directing, editing, cinematography and sound production. Due emphasis will be given to the four vectors that make film a composite profession: the artistic, the technological, the philosophical, and the entrepreneurial. The programme is structured such that it taps into the intersection of these vectors of film. The programme will seek to erase the gap between the training acquired at the university level and the needs of the industry by facilitating direct interaction with the industry. The goal is to ensure that graduates from the programme will be industry ready and capable of generating gainful employment for themselves and others.
The Philosophy of the Programme:
The programme seeks to inculcate in the students the knowledge and the skills required for a successful career either in filmmaking or as an academic specialising in film. Thus the programme will be a combination of both the academic and the professional. It will seek to animate the intersection of theory and practice in the philosophical, the entrepreneurial, the technological and the aesthetic dimensions of film.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Film/Television/Motion Picture Production. Holders of this qualification shall be admitted directly to the third semester of the programme
- HND in Film/Television/Motion Picture Production. Holders of any of this qualification shall be admitted directly to the second semester of the programme
- Bachelor’s Degree/HND in any cognate discipline [Mass Communication/Communication Arts, Theatre Arts/Dramatic Arts, etc.]. Holders of this qualification shall be eligible for some discretionary waivers, depending on the nature and strength of their previous work, as evidenced in their transcript/portfolio; and
- Bachelor’s Degree/HND in any other discipline.
Duration of the programme:
Three semesters for direct entry and five semesters for non-direct entry, both in full time mode
The Course Structure
The programme shall allow for the following areas of specialization:
- Scripting & Directing for the screen
Each area of specialization in the programme shall target each of the following film process/content:
- The short film
- The TV/film documentary
- The TV interview programme
- The feature film
- Adaptations to the screen
- The TV serial drama
- The commercial filmlet/TV commercial; and
- The music video.
Application details for the 2019/2020 academic year will be announced.