At the School of Media and Communication (SMC) we aspire to be the hub of learning in media and communication in the African continent. Here, creativity meets enterprise and theory meets practice. Welcome to the field that shapes the way we live in our world today.
Since its inception in 2006 (as the Centre for Media and Communication), the SMC has been on a journey that has led us to redefine programming in the media and communication landscape in our country. Starting with the Certificate in Media Enterprise (CME) and Advanced Writing and Reporting Skills (AWARES), we are transforming media education in the country.Going at breathtaking pace, we started the M.Sc. in Media and Communication two years after we were born and soon after, the PGD programmes in such innovative fields as Marketing Communications, Media Enterprise, Design and Digital Media, Community Relations and Multimedia Journalism.
Early in 2014, we began our PhD in Media and Communication and in November, 2014, a B.Sc. in Mass Communication.
Why have we now started an Undergraduate Programme?
To prepare you for entry into the exciting world of media and communication.To provide the quality education in communication studies that you seek.To serve an industry in desperate need of excellence.To be the place of first choice for employers.Everyone needs communication; every company needs media.
Reasons why you should choose SMC…
- Our programmes are accredited by relevant academic and professional bodies such as National Universities Commision (NUC), Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON) and the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR)
- Internship in leading organisations
- A place of first choice for employers in the media and communication field
- Broad humanistic and social scientific education
- We cherish our relationships with international universities as well as local and international professional organisations. These relationships help us maintain a high quality in the content of our programmes.
- A wide alumni network that will help you develop relationships with business organisations
Courses you will study include
- Written and Spoken Communication
- Digital Media and Communication
- Relationship Management
- Development Communication
- Corporate Affairs
- Community Relations
- Film and Entertainment
- Media Business & Enterprise Management
- Multimedia Journalism
- Television and Radio production
- Internet and online studies